Fatty liver, also called hepatic steatosis, is a condition in which excess fat accumulates in the liver. These deposits interfere with the normal functioning of the liver and slow down the production of insulin or bile that the body needs. In extreme cases, your liver can become permanently scarred and eventually lead to liver failure, leading to a life-threatening and irreversible condition called liver cirrhosis.
Homeopathic medicine for fatty liver
Two types of fatty liver disease
Fatty liver disease is of two types – non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and alcoholic fatty liver disease.
1. Non-Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease (NAFD):
- This is a condition where fatty – liver is not caused by alcohol. NAFD can be of two types – simple fatty- liver, where the accumulation of fat is harmless, and non-alcoholic steatohepatitis (NASH), where inflammation of the liver can lead to cirrhosis or cancer.
2. Alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease:
- This condition is also called alcoholic steatohepatitis, where the primary cause of fatty liver is excessive alcohol consumption. In the process of breaking down alcohol in the body, toxins are released, which damage liver cells and cause inflammation.
What is the grade of fatty liver?
- There are four different grades or stages of fatty – liver disease, which are associated with different symptoms and risks.
1. Grade 1 (Steatosis):
- This is called simple fatty – liver, where excess fat cells cover the liver, but do not cause any damage.
2. Grade 2 (NASH):
- It is a slightly dangerous condition where inflammation is observed in the liver. However, it can be cured in the early stages, and may become irreversible as the stage progresses. Patients with grade 2 fatty – liver may experience a dull ache in the right side of their abdomen.
3. Grade 3 (fibrosis):
- At this stage, some healthy liver tissue is replaced with fibrous tissue that can cause partial function of the organ.
4. Grade 4 (Cirrhosis):
- This is a dangerous stage where the liver shrinks in size and fills with clumps of liver cells. This irreversible stage eventually leads to complete liver failure.
How do you identify fatty liver?
- Fatty liver is diagnosed through physical screening tests and blood tests. Past medical history is also taken into consideration. Although many patients with simple fatty – liver may have no symptoms, in advanced stages, the condition can cause some health complications:
- Ascites and edema
- severe pain
Is fatty liver dangerous?
- A simple fatty – liver is benign in its early stages and may not pose a major risk. However, advanced fatty liver can pose serious health risks, including:
- Gastrointestinal bleeding.
- Liver cirrhosis.
- Liver failure.
- Liver cancer.
Best Home Remedies for Fatty Liver Disease at Home:
- There are many simple solutions for fatty – liver that are easy to use, severyday ingredients. Following them, along with the prescribed medication, can bring positive results and accelerate the results of your treatment:
1. Apple Cider Vinegar:
- Apple cider vinegar is one of the best home remedies for fatty – liver, thanks to its amazing detoxification properties. ACV works by removing harmful toxins from your liver, which impair its function. A study found that apple cider vinegar can reduce weight and significantly reduce blood lipid profile levels. It can reduce inflammation and promote overall liver health.
- Lemon is another best natural remedy for alcoholic fatty liver. A study revealed the surprising benefits of lemon in reducing the harmful effects of this disease. It is known that lemon has a hepatoprotective effect on alcohol-induced fatty liver and helps to reduce lipid profile levels. Also, it is rich in vitamin C, which is a powerful antioxidant that can prevent free radical damage to liver cells.
- Turmeric is one of the most mind-blowing Indian home solutions for fatty liver. It contains a chemical called curcumin that can protect liver cells from NAFLD (Non-Alcoholic Fatty – Liver Disease) when taken in recommended doses. The anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of this ingredient can reduce inflammation in liver cells and prevent oxidative stress by fighting free radicals.
4. Indian Gooseberry:
- Indian gooseberry or amla is the best ayurvedic remedy for fatty liver. Being a rich source of vitamin C, the antioxidant fruit helps the liver to clear toxins and protect it from further damage. According to a study, amla contains a photochemical called Quercetinm that can reduce oxidative stress in liver cells and protect the organ from alcohol-induced fatty – liver disease. Amla contains many enzymes that can regulate fat cells and promote good digestion.
- Cinnamon is one of the best regular solutions for greasy liver disease. Studies have been conducted to prove the effectiveness of Cinnamomumon, in which 1.5 gms of this spice was given to patients for 12 weeks, Those who have shown insulin resistance and hyperglycemia (too many lipids in the blood). The strong anti-inflammatory properties of this herb reduce liver tension caused by heavy alcohol consumption.
6. Milk Thistle:
- One of the herbal home remedies for treating fatty liver is milk thistle. Also known as silymarin, this herb has hepatoprotective effects that benefit patients suffering from this condition. A 2014 study suggests that milk thistle may inhibit free radicals that lead to toxicity with its powerful antioxidants and flavonoids. Also, milk thistle helps produce enzymes that detox the liver. But before consuming it must consult a doctor.
7. Hemp Seeds:
- Flax seeds are not only good for digestion but also protect against fatty liver. According to one study, hemp seeds showed improvements in weight, blood lipid levels, insulin resistance and reduced inflammatory tissue in patients with NAFLD. Also, hemp seeds are a rich source of fatty acids that fight oxidative stress to cells and less hepatic damage.No big wonder why it is considered the most mind-blowing home remedy for non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.
8. Green Tea:
- Green tea is a healthy drink and the best natural remedy for fatty liver. According to one study, green tea has been shown to be effective in reducing liver enzymes and organ inflammation, when combined with other supplements. Experts attribute the high amount of polyphenols and flavonoids in green tea, which reduce oxidative stress and overall fat in the body.
9. Dandelion Tea:
- Dandelion is a common garden weed with yellow flowers. Recent studies have shown that dandelion tea can treat non-alcoholic fatty liver disease induced by a high-fat diet. This is because dandelion contains powerful bioactive compounds that can lower cholesterol levels in the body.
- Also, some antioxidants like beta-carotene present in this agent can reduce cell damage. Other studies show that dandelion contains anti-inflammatory chemicals that can reduce inflammation in the liver. That is why it is considered as one of the home remedies to reduce fatty liver.
Disclaimer The information on this site is for educational purposes only, It is not intended to be a substitute for treatment by a healthcare professional. Readers should seek medical advice for any of their problems.